Thursday, January 30, 2020

Day 454


    In my last post, I wrote about the capital punishment awarded to the accused of the Nirbhaya rape case. Now there are a lot of things going on after the issue of death warrant. The capital punishment has to be given on 1st February 2020. Now one of the accused, Mukesh Singh has filed a petition in the Supreme Court against the rejection of mercy petition by the President of India. I think this is another afford to get extension in the capital punishment.
    I wonder why this petition has been filed against the rejection of the mercy petition. I don’t see any logic in this. I agree that many of you will say that there is legal process which can’t be overlooked. Its true and I agree with this. There is universal statement that it doesn’t matter whether hundred hard core criminals are released by the court of law but no innocent can be punished by the court of law. But the thing which is happening here is just to have more time to postpone the proceeding of the capital punishment.
    But now the whole thing is clear now. The date of the death sentence is around the corner. The justice will be done within couple of days. But according to me, the justice was delivered after a long time. It should have been done earlier. But one thing came in my notice that there are huge number of cases pending in the Indian courts. In Supreme Court only, about 61,000 cases are pending. High courts are having backlog of about more than 40 lakh pending cases and subordinated courts have 2.85 crore cases.
    Now the question comes in my mind that how so many cases are still pending in the courts? What is the reason behind this? Is it a fashion to keep the cases pending? What makes to delays the verdict? There are many questions like this. But what are the real reason for the delay verdict? Sometimes, the verdict comes after a decade or so. Sometimes, the accused died while the case is going on. What may be the reason behind this? Is the low number of judges hearing the cases one of the reason? According to me, sometimes, lawyers while arguing the case then they ask for time for further investigation or to give further evidences.
    Sometimes, the theory of investigating all the evidences and looking into every possible angle becomes the main reason behind the delay in delivering the verdict. But I hope that soon this system will be changed and the delay time will be reduced.

No comments:

Day 496

  JAI SHRI RAM   Actually, I thought to write this post on 22 nd January itself, but I was busy whole day in watching the live broadcas...